Linux Systems Administrator
The Linux Systems Administrator provides senior level technical expertise to effectively consult, plan, assign, monitor, review and lead the work of others in installing, configuring, operating, maintaining and troubleshooting commodity and engineered systems or networks in a complex integrated environment. This individual must have the ability to manage technical tasks assigned to a diverse team specializing in various technologies, coordinate resolution of critical system outages, etc. Participates in strategic and tactical planning activities and 2-way coaching discussions as requested by management. Also provides input to performance evaluations and job-related training for employees working in mid and senior level job classifications.
- Consults with internal customers to identify and analyze current operational processes and systems and recommends technology or provides technical advice on solutions (hardware and software) that meet business goals.
- Participates in evaluating user requests to determine feasibility; estimate cost and time requirements; and assess compatibility with existing system configuration.
- Conducts server builds, applies patches, releases upgrades and modifications to server operating system hardware and software.
- Configures, optimizes, fine-tunes, monitors and maintains server operating system and system applications.
- Works with end users, technical resources, vendors and others to resolve problems.
- Provides design recommendations and configurations to support new systems and upgrades.
- Provides tactical recommendations to meet business needs of systems.
- Performs or ensures system backups and recovery procedures are performed.
- Analyzes, diagnoses, troubleshoots and resolves system hardware, software, networking and storage issues.
- Monitors and manages engineered system resources including network, storage, server performance, CPU usage, disk usage, tape backup systems, and response times to maintain operating efficiency.
- Writes or modifies basic scripts and performs light programming to resolve performance problems and automate systems administration tasks.
- Resolves escalated problems and identifies and recommends responses to new or unusual situations.
- Ensures system documentation and logs are maintained and procedures are documented.
- Reviews research data; performs or ensures testing, evaluation of vendor hardware, software and other system components.
- Writes and/or edits Requests for Proposals (RFPs ) related to technology projects.
- Manages vendor relationships.
- Ensures that plans and procedures for operating under both normal and emergency conditions are accurate, appropriate and up-to-date.
- Bachelor of Science (BS) degree in Computer Science or related eight (8) years of professional experience in installing, supporting, and maintaining data center infrastructure (systems and/or network) in a large corporate environment.
- Provides technical leadership for all server configurations, including the Server Teams for Windows, Unix and Linux.
- Developing, installing and supporting physical or virtualized servers (physical compute, storage, memory and I/O resources)
- Citrix solutions for application and desktop virtualization
- Microsoft’s Active Directory and Exchange
- Use Oracle Enterprise Manager (OEM) to report and/or alert real-time and historical based on availability, performance and thresholds
- Responsible for: All server hardware and software, Providing data to management for use in reporting and job factors, Determining maintenance activities and schedules, Determining resources assigned to work tasks