Employment Type: Permanent
Job Number: 27023
The Systems Engineer (SE) is responsible for the effective provisioning, installation/configuration, operation, and maintenance of systems hardware and software and related infrastructure. This individual participates in technical research and development to enable continuing innovation within the infrastructure. This individual will assist project teams with technical issues in the Initiation and Planning phases of our standard Project Management Methodology. These activities include the definition of needs, benefits, and technical strategy; research & development within the project life-cycle; technical analysis and design; and support of operations staff in executing, testing and rolling-out the solutions. Participation on projects is focused on smoothing the transition of projects from development staff to production staff by performing operations activities within the project life-cycle.
Works with the IT team to insure reliable performance of Infrastructure in a 24/7/365 manufacturing environment. Additionally, the Systems Engineer (SE) Lead responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
• Provide mentoring and leadership for the department.
• Create and execute departmental business plans.
• Work with other IT members to develop and implement IT infrastructure policies, procedures, and standards to ensure compliance with industry regulations and best practices.
• Participate in strategy meetings and ensure departmental resources are aligned with the overall strategy and business plan of the Business Unit.
• Install new / rebuild existing servers and configure hardware, peripherals, services, settings, directories, storage, etc. in accordance with standards and project/operational requirements.
• Participate in risk management infrastructure environment through change management and other be practices processes.
• Perform daily system monitoring, verifying the integrity and availability of all hardware, server resources, systems and key processes, reviewing system and application logs, and verifying completion of scheduled jobs such as backups.
• Perform daily backup operations, ensuring all required file systems and system data are successfully backed up
to the primary and secondary backup locations.
• Perform regular file archival and purge as necessary.
• Apply OS patches and upgrades on a regular basis, and upgrade administrative tools and utilities. Configure/add new services as necessary.
• Perform periodic performance reporting to support capacity planning.
• Maintain data center environmental and monitoring equipment.
• Maintain effective best practice risk management process including change management, access security, and root cause analysis.
• Provide effective technical interfaces to the network engineering function. Assist in the design and planning of network architecture as it relates to the server infrastructure.
• Provide effective technical interfaces to the desktop support function.
• Mentor and train other staff members on infrastructure support tasks.
• Perform routine systems/user administration tasks and monitor systems security.
• Participate in an on-call rotation when necessary to perform off-shift batch processing and helpdesk services. Will travel domestically 25-50% of the time to our various sites within the US.